A Rite Aid in Detroit is facing a major lawsuit after allegedly dispensing a lethal dose of Temodar–a powerful drug given to patients to treat brain tumors. According to reports, John Sheridan died in October 2007 about a month after taking the medication.
A lawsuit filed on behalf of Sheridan’s estate alleges that the Rite Aid pharmacy failed to notice that the doctor had incorrectly prescribed the medication. Specifically, the doctor wrote the prescription for 250 milligrams 14 times a day for 7 days. However, the correct dosage was supposed to be 360 milligrams day for 7 days, every other week. Essentially, instead of taking the medication every other week, Sheridan took the medication every day–approximately 10 times the correct dosage. Therefore, the lawsuit, filed in Wayne County Circuit Court, states that Sheridan consumed toxic doses of Temodar, which ultimately led to his death.
Thus far Rite Aid has refused to comment on the case. However, the doctor who prescribed the incorrect dosage has already settled with Sheridan’s estate.
recently named in the 2009 edition of Best Lawyer's In America, David Mittleman has been representing seriously injured people since 1985. A partner with Church Wyble PC—a division of Grewal Law PLLC—Mr. Mittleman and his partners focus on medical malpractice, wrongful death, car accidents, slip and falls, nursing home injury, pharmacy/pharmacist negligence and disability claims.