You might have heard about the shocking accident that injured award winning newscaster Hannah Storm. She has already returned to work just three weeks later, albeit looking rather different. Unfortunately, Storm suffered second and third degree burns when a propane gas grill exploded at her home.
Storm suffered burns to her face, hands, and lost her eyelashes and about half of her hair in the explosion. She returned to TV to host the Rose Parade on January 1. Storm was injured on the night of December 11 when she noticed that the light had gone out on her gas grill. She turned off the gas and reignited the grill, but when she did, it exploded in flames. Hannah quickly ripped off her shirt with her left hand, which was on fire. She also tried to use another part of the shirt to put out the flames engulfing her head and chest and yelled for help. Her daughter heard her cries and called 911 for help while a computer technician working in the house used ice to try to stop the burns. Storm was then taken to Westchester Medical Center and treated for 24 hours in the Trauma and Burn Center.
Storm's hand was bandaged during the broadcast on January 1 but her hair was nearly perfectly coifed thanks to the aid of hair extensions. Storm said her ordeal was frightening and that she hasn't been out of her house since the parade day, except for Christmas day mass. She says that she compared her situation to those of veterans injured during combat and knew that she was fortunate not to have suffered worse injuries.
recently named in the 2009 edition of Best Lawyer's In America, David Mittleman has been representing seriously injured people since 1985. A partner with Church Wyble PC—a division of Grewal Law PLLC—Mr. Mittleman and his partners focus on medical malpractice, wrongful death, car accidents, slip and falls, nursing home injury, pharmacy/pharmacist negligence and disability claims.