A Central Michigan University student has died from bacterial meningitis. CMU student Nicholas Collins died this morning at St. Mary Mercy Livonia Hospital and tested positive for the infection which is associated with permanent brain damage, hearing loss, learning disability, limb amputation, kidney failure or death.
The Wayne County Health Department sent out a notice on Tuesday that Collins tested positive for bacterial meningitis and CMU officials are asking any students that had contact with Collins between April 30 and May 3 to contact their local health department or healthcare provider.
Between 100 to 125 cases of bacterial meningitis occur on college campuses annually, contributing to 5 to 15 college student deaths. Students living in residence halls have a six-fold increase in the likelihood of contracting the infection but most universities have a vaccine that is 85 to 100% effective in preventing four kinds of bacteria that cause about 70% of disease in the U.S.
recently named in the 2009 edition of Best Lawyer's In America, David Mittleman has been representing seriously injured people since 1985. A partner with Church Wyble PC—a division of Grewal Law PLLC—Mr. Mittleman and his partners focus on medical malpractice, wrongful death, car accidents, slip and falls, nursing home injury, pharmacy/pharmacist negligence and disability claims.