I probably don't need to remind you what happens if you're not careful with fireworks, but apparently one man near Traverse City did. While I'm saying this tongue-in-cheek, the man's injuries were no joke. The 45-year-old unnamed man blew of part of his genitals last Monday evening when a mortar shell blew up between his legs. He apparently thought the empty shell was dead, but when he went up to check it, it fired and hit him in the left testicle.
The Fire Department in Grand Traverse responded to the incident, which took place at about 8:54 p.m. in Acme Township near Traverse City. The man's injuries were reported as serious, and he was rushed to Munson Medical Center in Traverse City. His present condition and identity are still unknown. According to some reports, he was either drunk or simply careless when he set off the firework.
This year, Governor Snyder signed a bill legalizing more dangerous fireworks. Some blame the rise in serious fireworks-related incidents to the legislation, including the burning down of a Catholic Church in Kentwood recently. Many downtown municipalities have restricted the use of airborne or "consumer grade" fireworks, but Acme Township has not done so. However, officials say it may do so now because of injuries such as the 45-year-old man and numerous complaints.
recently named in the 2009 edition of Best Lawyer's In America, David Mittleman has been representing seriously injured people since 1985. A partner with Church Wyble PC—a division of Grewal Law PLLC—Mr. Mittleman and his partners focus on medical malpractice, wrongful death, car accidents, slip and falls, nursing home injury, pharmacy/pharmacist negligence and disability claims.