Rhode-Island based meat company, Daniele Inc., issued its first recall of its salami products on January 23 over a Salmonella outbreak that spanned 44 states and the District of Columbia which sickened 230 people. Since the original recall, Daniele expanded it three more times—once on January 31, February 4, and the latest, on February 16. According to food safety authorities, the culprit of the outbreak could be the crushed red pepper that is used in the salami. Originally, authorities suspected the black pepper on the outside of the meat was the cause of the Salmonella contamination.
However, there likely won’t be a recall of pepper anytime soon. Instead, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, which regulates the pepper used by Daniele, is investigating the black pepper used by to coat the salami products. So far the FDA maintains that all of the pepper samples tested for Salmonella have come back negative.
However, to avoid further contamination of its meat products, Daniele Inc. has temporarily placed the potentially affected lots of pepper on hold while the FDA continues its investigation. The recently added products include:
· 8-ounce packages of "DANIELE HOT SALAME PANINO WITH FRESH MOZZARELLA."
· 8-ounce packages of "BOAR’S HEAD SALAME PANINO, SALAME ROLLED IN MOZZARELLA CHEESE."
· 8-ounce packages of "DANIELE ITALIAN STYLE SALAME PANINO, HOT SALAME ROLLED IN MOZZARELLA CHEESE."
· Random weight packages of "DANIELE ITALIAN STYLE SALAME PANINO, HOT SALAME ROLLED IN MOZZARELLA CHEESE."
· 8-ounce packages of "DIETZ & WATSON ARTISAN COLLECTION HOT SALAME PANINO, HOT SALAME ROLLED IN MOZZARELLA CHEESE."
· 8-ounce packages of "DANIELE SALAME PANINO WITH FRESH MOZZARELLA AND BASIL."
· 1-pound 8-ounce variety packages of "DANIELE CAPOCOLLO PANINO WITH FRESH MOZZARELLA AND BASIL; PRESIDENT’S PROSCIUTTO PANINO WITH FRESH MOZZARELLA AND BASIL; HOT SALAME PANINO WITH FRESH MOZZARELLA," with UPC Code 736436709582.
These products were sold primarily at Costco, Wal-mart, and Sam’s Club.
recently named in the 2009 edition of Best Lawyer's In America, David Mittleman has been representing seriously injured people since 1985. A partner with Church Wyble PC—a division of Grewal Law PLLC—Mr. Mittleman and his partners focus on medical malpractice, wrongful death, car accidents, slip and falls, nursing home injury, pharmacy/pharmacist negligence and disability claims.